Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Carol's Puff Balls [Profiteroles]




Growing up I spent Saturday mornings at Mrs. [Carol] Gates' house on Myrtle Ln, taking my piano lesson.  She was practically a second grandma to me, being only a decade younger than my own, and Mrs. Gates was an important part of my growing up.  Despite the difference in age, she seemed to "get" me as a teenager, and while we worked a lot on Mozart pieces, she was just as happy with me learning Beatles ones.  I recall at least one Saturday AM where we didn't even play a single note, after spending the whole 30 minutes talking.

Mrs. Gates passed away last year, and I still think so fondly of her.  I think it would tickle her to know that one of her recipes is now immortalized on the internet ... and it's a good one.

This is written up for a savory use, but you could just as easily fill it with pastry cream, ice cream, caramel, or whatever floats your boat.  Some call these Profiteroles ... others simply Puff Balls.  Same great thing no matter how you dress it up or down.

Ingredients:
½ C. boiling water
¼ C. butter
½ C. flour  
2 eggs
tuna, chicken, or shrimp salad

Directions:
Put water in saucepan; add butter.  Stir until melted.  Add flour and stir mixture vigorously over low heat until it forms a ball in center of pan.  Remove from stove, let stand 5 minutes.  Add first egg, beat until smooth, then add the second.  Beat until satiny smooth.  Put dough on greased baking sheet in lumps the size of a walnut.  Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes, then at 325°F for 10 minutes.  Cool, then split shells in half.  Fill with chicken salad, tuna salad, etc.  Serve chilled or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!